As the title suggest, on the heals of Easter Sunday I decided to try my hand at turning plastic Easter eggs into some creepy carnivorous plants to be used as table top terrain in wargames such as WH40k or (if my friends will ever get on board lol) Wh40k Kill Team Kill Zone Death World Forest. This is super easy if you have some basic hobby tools. Doing two of these only took me about an hour tops (that’s also counting time for me to figure out how I wanted to do it and what I wanted them to look like, though will need to let PVA glue dry before priming).
This is what they look like before being primed and painted.
The tools you will need are as follows
Hot glue gun
Hand held hobby drill (like for miniatures)
Two pairs of tweezers
First (simple) variant.
To start off you will cut the plastic Easter eggs apart and (optional) use the taller half
Get something you want to base it one, but don’t attach it to the base yet
Next drill a hole in the center of the egg where there is an indention.
Then take your hobby knife and cut four slits in the egg making an X, and cut the corners off so it looks like this.
Next being careful take tweezers and with one pair hold the egg and the other bend the flaps outward while you heat the plastic with the heat gun
Then hot glue some tooth pics tips at the center end of each flap.
After that hot glue it to the base you cut out and then cover it in hot clue to give it texture and make it look more organic looking.
Second (complicated) variant
The other variant I did used the first steps of cutting the egg and all, but this time you are going to trim the flaps so there is more space between each one like this.
At the center of the base glue some wires sticking up like this
then take some cotton (I used the tip of a giant cue tip since I didnt have cotton balls) glue it around and on top of the wires to to fill the space
cover that with some hot glue to give it different textures. Next take a flat piece of thin plastic (like the plastic cover from a toy box) and cut out four triangles
they don’t have to be perfect since they will leaves. Again take your heat gun, and open up the flaps on the egg and this time take each plastic triangle and heat them so you can shape them. Be sure to shape the bottom of them to fit the curve of the egg.
Next hot glue the leaves so they line up with the gap between each flap of the egg.
Then take some more cotton and glue it along the inside of the egg like this
After that glue the egg to your base and cover it in glue like you did the first one. Getting the glue to have strings attaching the flaps I think makes it look really good and very slimy/organic.
Finally pour PVA glue into the egg to add more texture and to make the cotton look more fleshy.
Let that dry before you prime them.
Here they are together before they are primed
I reccomend spray painting them and getting the can pretty close to do a very thick coat so it helps blend everything together more. Here it is based purple and with some sprue plants on the bases. As here they are finished(ish) I didnt put much effort in painting them as you can tell lol.